The Ultimate Marvels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ultimate Marvels

The Back-up Ultimate Marvels Site

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
a1 steak sauce
Super Hero
a1 steak sauce

The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Empty
PostSubject: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm

You know how it works! I rate my weekly comics like a report card! Anyone may participate.
Back to top Go down
a1 steak sauce
Super Hero
a1 steak sauce

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Here's what got this week:
November 14th, 07

MARVEL

House of M Avengers #1 - [A+]
I loved the hell out of this comic. The writing was superb. Gage wrote Luke Cage perfectly. Can someone check and see if he wants to do a Luke Cage comic? Cause I'd read it! The art was perfect in my opinion. And the fantastic miss Martin shined big time. I admire her coloring, especially on Astonoshing X-Men. WOW-EE! This comic was awesome. I always thought they should have gone more in depth during House of M. I felt there was much more left to tell, in terms of stories. And the Avengers were not handled at all. Until now! What a start. I absolutely loved this little gem, and feel completly satisfied that I spent 3 dollars on it. And hey... I kinda like the line up. Sweet!

Marvel Adventures Hulk #5 - [A-]
Good issue to this cool little all ages type book. I like this series. Out of continuity means that it dosen't have to follow every dumb event either company decides to flood the market with. 52, Countdown, Civil War, House of M, Skrull Invasion, Disassembled, Sinsestro Corps War, blah blah blah. Guest star Dr. Strange was a nice addition to this issue as well. Overall in art and writing, I liked it.

X-Factor #25 - [B+]
I'm following the big X-Men event "Messiah CompleX" and that means buying books I usually don't waste the money on. Like X-Factor and New X-Men. This is the 3rd chapter. I liked it, but not as much as the first two chapters. The art and writing was solid, I just wanted more action here.

World War Hulk #5 - [A+]
LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! What a shocker! Cannot believe who was behind the bomb. What a jerk! I won't spoil it here though. Great ending too. Can't wait for the new series advertised at the very end. And there was a big time sad part here. Real tear jerker. My final verdict on WWH, is it was excellent, it lived up to hype, but was weighed down a little by the crappy tie-ins. Almost all of the tie-ins sucked. Which is a bummer. If I had to compare PLANET HULK and WORLD WAR HULK, I'd pick PLANET HULK by a mile. And the reason? Everything about PLANET HULK was amazing. One rollercoster event. I liked PLANET HULK more than House of M, Civil War, and Countdown combined. PLANET HULK and 52 is a tie. But I'd like to know Kevin's opinion on this one. What didja like better Kevin. PLANET HULK or WORLD WAR HULK? That's the million dollar question.

Punisher War Journal #13 - [B+]
I loved the writing as always. Fraction is extremley gifted at doing what he does best. Writing comic books, and writing 'em good. The art was different, but I enjoyed it. Interesting storyline they got going on here. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. I LOVE the Spidey/Frank team up angle. Two completly different people here.

Thor #4 - [B-]
Weakest issue so far to me. No action except for the gun part. The art was good, but the story seemed bland at times. I just hope we get a big fight scene soon. Nothing can compare to that kickass Thor/Iron Man fight last issue though.

The Ultimates Saga #1 - [A]
The premise here is Tony looks over Fury's files on the team, and reflects upon all of the Ultimates amazing adventures. Really liked Tony's angle on the team. I say, any Ultimates fan oughtta buy it. It's a direct lead up to Ultimates 3.

The New Avengers #36 - [B-]
Good issue, I love Lenil's art. I just don't know if I like the Hood thing. And the symbiote thing was kinda weird. It was a decent issue, and I did like it more than the last one. But it was just all-right for me.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #48 - [B-]
It wasn't bad. The best thing about UFF right ow, is a little artist named Mark Brooks. He's spot on with this title and I hope he stays aboard for a very long time. The whole story was a little far out for me, but it wasn't bad, like I said at top. I'd give it a little better than average rating.

DC

Metamorpho Year One #3 - [B+]
I like Metamorpho and I am enjoying the re-telling of his CRAAAzzy origin. With 3 more left the series is only gonna get better, and this was an all around good issue. Yay!

Booster Gold #4 - [A]
WOO! Booster Gold #4. I love Booster Gold. One of my top 5 favorite heroes in either company. This issue did not dissapoint, and there was an absolute HUGE shocker in the middle of this one. The evil Supernova's identity revealed. Booster's father!?!? Holy shizzle my ma-nizzle! This series' crisp art and great writing, makes it my favorite comic out there on the market now, month after month after month. This issue was GRRRREAT!

Green Arrow and Black Canary #2 - [B+]
Good art and writing, although I would have loved to see more GA action. Didn't feel to me like the plot advanced a lot in this issue. I liked the first ish better, and I'm hoping that #3 will exceed them both combined!

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark #2 (of 3) - [A]
Okay, most of you may not know who Captain Carrot is. He is a rabbit on a world where all the people are animals and he has a crew of animal super heroes with powers, called The Zoo Crew. Sound stupid? It's not! I love Captain Carrot and strangely, so do a lot of hardcore DC fans. The first 2 issues sold out immidiately. If you read the series, you would enjoy it, I amlost garantee it. I absolutely love Captain Carrot now. The art and writing was laugh out loud funny, and this issue was awesome!

Okay A1 Steak Sauce's pick of the week is...

*drumroll*

HOUSE OF M AVENGERS #1!!!!!!
Huh?
Can you believe it?
Better than WWH #5? To me it was. My opinion of course. I LOVED the issue so much. I really want to read the rest of the series. Now. Badly.

~~~~Anyways bye folks and see ya next week~~~~~
Back to top Go down
UltimateKevin
Super Hero
UltimateKevin

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 11:36 pm

I got pretty much most of the books you got from Marvel.
World War Hulk #5... Remember I mentioned I would bite my tongue, regretting this gem? Can't believe how this thing ended. Really disappointed of the final battle. It's like the whole time the dude could've stopped this... but he just didn't feel like it. Come on... Rolling Eyes
Was Planet Hulk better than World War Hulk? Surprisingly... yes! Like you pointed out, awful tie-ins were messing up the core series. 'Course, some take place God knows where... I guess the contuinity suffered the most, therefore giving Planet Hulk one helluva an edge.
Back to top Go down
a1 steak sauce
Super Hero
a1 steak sauce

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 9:22 am

I'm glad you mentioned that Kevin! I never thought of it like that. The Sentry, could have stopped it at anytime, but he just didn't feeeeel like it. What a whiney little baby. And to be honest I'm not a big Sentry fan. I think he's kinda useless. Aw well.. Other than that I did like the conclusion.

I think I'm make a list of all the tie ins and put them under one of two categories, Garbage and good.

GOOD

WWH: Frontline- Good tie in. I like this one just as much as the CW one!
Incredible Hulk- Best tie-ins easily! It actually relates to the core story! Yay!
Punisher War Journal- I liked it quite a bit.
Ghost Rider- I liked those 2.

GARBAGE

WWH Gamma Corps- Is this the lamest tie in ever or what? 'Nuff Said!
Heroes For Hire- Ugh. Hate these tie ins.
Gamma Files- A guidebook that I didnt even read!
Ant Man- C'mon Marvel this was a turd sandwich.
WWH: X-Men- It was meh... It wasn't garbage, but it wasn't good either...
Back to top Go down
UltimateKevin
Super Hero
UltimateKevin

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 1:21 pm

I actually liked Heroes For Hire... Zeb Wells carefully knows how to grasp his characters. 'Cept, you notice Miek's all pissed off when Humbug slaughtered some hivelings? Kinda contradicting to WWH #5's conclusion, doncha think?
Back to top Go down
a1 steak sauce
Super Hero
a1 steak sauce

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 8:39 pm

UltimateKevin wrote:
I actually liked Heroes For Hire... Zeb Wells carefully knows how to grasp his characters. 'Cept, you notice Miek's all pissed off when Humbug slaughtered some hivelings? Kinda contradicting to WWH #5's conclusion, doncha think?

Yeah, I used to like Miek. Now I hate that two timing son of a ----.
Back to top Go down
UltimateKevin
Super Hero
UltimateKevin

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2007 9:11 pm

This week I got:

Black Panther #32 - I'm only interested in this book because I want to really see what happened before Black Panther and Storm left the FF... and that's it. I wouldn't reccomend getting this book though

Daredevil #102 - A kickass issue written by a favorite scribe of mine: Ed Brubaker. I'm loving how The Hood isn't even in this issue, yet his actions in New Avengers are reverbrated here-- nice...

Marvel Zombies 2 #2 - Not really liking this ish. I can't really point out what's wrong... The whole crew's back, but it seems the storyline's dragging.

Moon Knight Annual #1 - Quick annual that could be ignored, but kinda interesting. Though I would've preffered MK #13 as an annual. 13 was more capable of holding the annual slot, but whatever... It's not like it matters...

Sensational Spider-Man #41 - Okay... After reading this book, I feel very unsatisfied. One More Day is only one issue away 'til the finale, but I can probably guess what's going to happen... I think. Oh, and what the hell's up with the other half of this ish being a preview of a reprint that hardly has nothing to do with the current storyline?!?! Better not happen next issue...

Sub-Mariner #6 - Holy crap!! What a sleeper hit! (pun intended) I totally loved this little miniseries! I've never heard of the duo writers behind this, but I'm a fan of them. This ending shocked the living hell out of me. Seriously, you'd never ever expect that shit-- ever! My only problem is, like, Silent War, this plot line really conflicts some events. New Avengers: Illuminati #5 comes to mind... Wonder if that'll ever be resolved.

Ultimate Spider-Man #116 - A well handled issue with slaps-to-the-face panels. Immonen's pencils are insanely energetic. Again, the ending here's kinda surprising to some degree. Doncha hate it when you witness future issues with a cover that ruins a plotline? ...Me too.

X-Men #205 - Wooo, baby! This is my favorite chapter in the Messiah CompleX saga. Once again, this ending blew me away. (I must've yelled, "What the hell?!" three times with this week's books) I think there's, like, four intersecting plots. The transitions between the books are so, so smooth that I hardly even notice the writers are all different. Only problem: I'm not diggin' Chris Bachalo's art.

World War Hulk: Frontline #6 - The conclusion to the sequel to Civil War: Frontline's finally here. Now I'm not sure what to think of this issue. I mean, I can't tell if it's better than Civil War or not. I mean, CW: F #11 had an unbelievable twist that has yet to be rid in my mind, while here the twist's hardly as interesting. Also, I think I'm starting to abhor Sally Floyd... What she signals to Daredevil seems unfit and totally not cool. Seriously, not only was I shocked, I felt like dropping the book. But, hey, comics and anything part of the media's supposed to have you feel some sort of emotion, right? Job well done, Jenkins, you conniving, sly fox, you...

My Pick of the Week goes to...

X-Men #205. Helluva series, that's promising of a masterful event.
Back to top Go down
cowboyfromhell
Super Hero
cowboyfromhell

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Dude Usm came out?? DAMN!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!   The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Rate your Weekly comic-books" Thread!
Page 1 of 1